Welcome to Week 10 of The OPIE Zone Newsletter.
Here’s a chance to meet some new people!
OPIE has some new groups coming this summer, so be sure to welcome them if you see new people in Gordy Hall.
- 49 Fulbright students will be here from July 28 through August 18. These students are from 29 countries, including Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Benin, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Fiji, Georgia, Guatemala, Honduras, Indonesia, Iraq, Jordan, Moldova, Nicaragua, Pakistan, South Korea, Tajikistan, Thailand, Togo, Turkey, Uganda, Uzbekistan, and Venezuela. They are here at OU for three weeks to become acclimated to US academic culture before starting their graduate programs at a variety of universities throughout the United States.
- 51 teachers from Saudi Arabia will be arriving in the next few weeks for a
one-year professional development program for educators.
See some art at the Dairy Barn!
Art of Our Appalachian Woods will be at the Dairy Barn Arts Center. The show will be up until September 3rd. The gallery is open Tuesday-Sunday, 12-5 p.m. Admission is $5 and free for members, but on Wednesday admission is free for everyone. If you are interested in art made from wood, you should see this!
For Your Information:
Athens will have lots of people coming into town for Brew Week. Brew Week will be happening July 13-21.
Union St. and Court St. will probably be crowded with people who are sampling 200 different types of beer made in Ohio. Be aware that some people might drink a lot of beer, so you might want to avoid uptown late at night if that isn’t your cup of tea.
Athena Cinema is showing some special $2 movies this summer.
The movies are family friendly and are being offered as a fundraiser for Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Athens County.
- Yellow Submarine: Last Call Movie, Saturday July 21 at 3 p.m
- Hook, Saturday, August 4 at 3 p.m.
- The Secret of Nimh, Saturday August 18, at 3 p.m.