Click here to register for the International Cultural Understanding Certificate program.
Email email@example.com if you have any questions.
For a list of current (Spring 2020) activities, click here.
The pursuit of this Certificate broadens students’ cultural experience and understanding. By participating in the activities associated with the International Cultural Understanding Certificate (ICUC), students have the chance to build upon their cultural competency, learn about different ways of life, and improve their ability to communicate with a variety of people. This Certificate Program is open to all Ohio University students.
How do I earn the ICUC?
Note: All three steps for the Certificate must be completed within one academic semester, but the Certificate can be completed multiple times.
Requirement #1. Participate in 1 of the following:
- Join Global Conversation Partners
- Attend at least 5 of the International Conversation Hours in Jefferson Hall , room 160. Bring your ID to swipe as a record of your attendance.
- Reside with an international student on campus for at least ten weeks in the current semester (this option is only available for American students)
Requirement #2. Participate in 7 different cultural events from the following groups or programs (7 events total):
- Attend 1 event from OPIE
- Attend 1 event from International Student Union
- Attend 2 events from Multicultural Center, Women’s Center and/or LGBT Center
- Attend 3 other cultural events (labeled “other” on the Activity Calendar)
For a list of current activities, click here.
Requirement #3. Write about your experience:
- Write 1 paragraph describing your experience in Requirement #1.
- Write 1 paragraph describing your experience at 1 of the events in Requirement #2.
How do I show that I’ve done the work?
- Sign up at the link at the top of this Webpage.
- Make a plan. Decide how you will fulill Requirement #1. And decide which events you plan to attend to meet Requirement #2. Write the dates in your calender.
- Take a picture of yourself at each event that you attend for Requirement #2. Make sure that it is clear which event you are at. (Find the organizer and ask them to be in your photo, or take a picture with something in the background that shows the event.)
- Complete the Google Doc Progress Form that was shared with you in the welcome e-mail. It is a good idea to update this Progress Form after each event that you attend. Photos may be shared on the Google Doc Progress Form OR e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Due date: The first day of Finals Week of the current semester by 5 p.m.