Office: Room 155C Gordy Hall
155 Gordy Hall
Athens, OH 45701 USA
Area(s) of Professional Interest:
- Intercultural communication
- ESL/EFL Teacher Education
- ESL/EFL Teaching: English for Academic Purposes, English for Special Purposes
- Grammar, Composition, ITA Training
- Curriculum Development
- TESOL: Sociopolitical Issues
Warm greetings from Ohio University!
I have been a willing captive of the challenges and rewards of international education since 1968 when I spent a year studying abroad in Ireland. That first intercultural experience was followed by a summer of work in Germany, extensive travels through north and west Africa, and finally three years teaching English (Peace Corps) in Morocco before returning to the U.S. where I have been teaching preacademic English since 1976.
In addition to teaching preacademic English to speakers of other languages, I have been involved in a number of highly rewarding professional activities including:
- international student advising
- campus and community-based intercultural programming
- preacademic orientation for Fulbright scholars.
- professional development for EFL teachers and teacher educators from South Africa, Namibia, Israel, Palestine, and Brazil.
- parliamentary English and communicative English skill-building in Poland for members of the Polish Parliament and the parliamentary staff.
- cross-cultural communication skill-building for Japanese business associates.
- conversational English and orientation to American culture for students from Japan, Siberia, and Korea.
I enjoy my work immensely and am continually rewarded by what I am able to learn from the rich experience of working with such a diversity of dedicated students and colleagues.