Welcome to week 15 of the OPIE Zone!
Important Testing Information
|Test||Date||Location & Time||Students|
|Composition||Tues, Dec. 4||In your Core during class time||All OPIE students|
|English Placement||Fri, Dec. 7||Grover E205 at 9:00 a.m.||Elementary and Intermediate
*Regular classes will resume at 11:50 a.m.
|TOEFL||Sat, Dec. 8||Gordy 301: Bridge and Pathway students
Gordy 311: Elementary, Intermediate, and Advanced students
|Recommended for Advanced and Bridge Levels but available to all OPIE students|
|*Please arrive early and do not bring your cellphone, bag, or smart watch to the EPT or TOEFL test.|
The Fall 2018 End-of Semester Reports for all OPIE students will be available online beginning at 8 am on Thursday, December 13, 2018. These reports include information about credit, progress, grades, test scores, and placement for the next semester. Please go to tinyurl.com/myopiereport for more information!
Tips for Success on Test Day
- Dress comfortably for any room temperature. Eat a good breakfast.
- Arrive at the test center at least 30 minutes early.
- Follow directions carefully to avoid wasting time.
- Do not panic. Concentrate on the task in front of you. Do not think about questions you have already answered.
- Do not spend too much time on one question.
- Do not leave questions blank. If you are not sure of the answer, make the best possible choice.
- Pace yourself to answer every question and avoid rushing at the end.
ETS TOEFL Website: https://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/prepare/tips/).
Attention Students: We hope you enjoy your upcoming winter break. If you are planning to travel outside the U.S. and have had No Credit or No Progress in OPIE in previous semesters, please read this information:
No Credit or No Progress (One Semester)
If you receive “No Credit” or “No Progress” this semester, you are on probation with OPIE. This means you must be careful to avoid getting “No Credit” or “No Progress” again in the future.
No Credit (Two Semesters) or No Progress (Three Semesters in a Row)
If you received cumulative* “No Credit” in your OPIE classes for any two semesters or if you received “No Progress” for three semesters in a row, you will be dismissed from OPIE and Ohio University. This does affect your visa status.
If you have ever received “No Credit” or three semesters of “No Progress” in a row,you must be careful about making travel plans for winter break. Each semester that you are in OPIE, you will need to wait to receive your final grade report before you leave the United States for vacation. International Students and Faculty Services (ISFS) will not be able to give you a travel signature until you have your final report. You will need a travel signature in order to return to the United States to continue your studies. So, if you ever receive cumulative* “No Credit” or three semesters of “No Progress” in a row, be sure to plan your flights out of the United States afteryou receive your final grade report from OPIE.
Housing information for Winter Break:
- All Ohio University residence halls will officially close on Friday,December 14 at 8:00 PM. Students must vacate their residence hall within 24 hours of their last exam or by 8:00 PM Friday, December 14, whichever comes first. Students with a Friday exam, graduating, or working the commencement ceremony may request a one-night extension checking out no later than 6:00 PM on Saturday, December 15.
- Students needing to remain on campus for any portion of Winter Break can elect to stay in Interim Housing.Interim Housing is available from Saturday, December 15 through Thursday, January 10 at which point the spring semester housing contract will be in effect. Reservations are required.
How do I make a reservation?
- Visit: www.ohio.edu/myhousing
- Select the appropriate Interim / Temporary Application from the ‘Applications’ Tab
- Answer the questions associated with the application
- Hit submit
- Confirm submission of your interim / temporary application by receipt of the email confirmation to your OHIO email account